Professor Nigel Bundred MD, FRCS
Professor of Surgical Oncology
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)161 291 5859
- Fax: +44 (0)161 291 5860
University Hospital of South Manchester
2nd Floor, Education and Research Centre
My role as Professor of Surgical Oncology is principally based at the University Hospital of South Manchester NHS Foundation Trust, Wythenshawe Hospital and involves management of all types of breast disease as well as thyroid problems. I work 3 PAs in the Christie Hospital and have active laboratory research in the Paterson Institute for Cancer Research.
In September 2007 I was appointed as Clinical Lead for Research for the Greater Manchester and Cheshire Cancer Research Network and Clinical Director for the recently awarded Breakthrough Breast Cancer Unit.
Memberships of Committees and Professional Bodies
I am a member of the following societies/organisations:
- Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- British Association for Cancer Research
- British Association of Surgical Oncology (BASO), Elected National Committee Member
- British Breast Group
- Clinical Trials Advisory Awards Committee, Cancer UK
- European School of Surgical Oncology
- National Cancer Research Network (NCRN), Trials Adoption Committee
- National Institute for Health Research Senior Faculty Member
- Society of Academic & Research Surgery (SARS), Elected National Committee Member
My current research programme is concentrated on two main areas; breast cancer and parathyroid hormone related protein/hypercalcaemia of malignancy. I currently have a team of 2 research registrars, 2 postdoctoral assistants and 2 technicians working on various laboratory research areas. In addition 3 ½ research nurses and 1 graduate research worker are working on various clinical trials and studies for which I have obtained funding. In total nine MD theses and one PhD have been awarded under my supervision.
Active research areas encompass breast cancer prevention, mechanisms of bone metastasis, angiogenesis, stem cell (non-adherent) culture of DCIS and invasive breast cancer. Other areas of interest include endocrine therapy of breast cancer and tumour tissue analysis (microarray).
Ductal Carcinoma in Situ (DCIS)
DCIS constitutes 30% of all screen detected breast cancer. I have developed an athymic nude mouse model in which human DCIS is implanted as xenografts and survives up to two months, in collaboration with Professor Chris Potten in the Paterson Institute for Cancer Research.
More recently I have identified stem cells from DCIS lesions and demonstrated growth inhibition of non-adherent stem like cells by NOTCH and epidermal growth factor receptor inhibition.
Working with Dr Rob Clarke and Dr Gill Farnie in the Breast Biology Group, we have developed cancer stem cell culture from primary human DCIS and shown that DCIS stem cells are controlled by NOTCH and epidermal growth factor receptor. In addition, we have shown that inhibiting HER2 oncogene overexpressing DCIS cells leads to inhibition of proliferation, leading to development of clinical trials in this condition with anti-HER2 inhibitors.
Control of Apoptosis in the Normal Breast in Breast Cancer
We have developed studies on apoptosis in both normal breast, DCIS and invasive cancer (in collaboration with Professor Charles Streuli) where we investigated mechanisms of inducing or preventing apoptosis in the breast. We initially developed new measures of apoptosis (activated caspase3 immunohistochemistry) and more latterly we have investigated the role of inhibitors of apoptosis intracellular proteins which block apoptosis and are elevated in breast cancer.
More recently we have obtained a grant from Breast Cancer Campaign to study inhibitors of apoptosis proteins (IAPs). These proteins prevent the final execution of the cell and we are analysing which of the 8 proteins are over expressed in breast cancer and whether inhibiting individual IAPs will induce tumour response and an increase in apoptosis.
Stromal Influences on Breast Cancer Growth
Working with Prof. Goran Landberg, we have shown that the use of aromatase inhibitors switches off activated stroma in breast cancers in a randomised controlled trial and we are exploring ways of switching off both the stroma and epithelial cells simulataneously to augment response to therapy.
Prevention of Lymphoedema
A large, £1.5m, National Institute for Health Research Programme Grant has been obtained to study whether early detection of arm swelling by measurement or bioimpedance will allow prevention of progression to lymphoedema through the use of external compression garments. These latter studies are taking place at the Nightingale Breast Centre, a £14m new building concentrating on the prevention and detection of breast cancer.
- "In Vivo" Models
- Clinical Trials
- Translational Science
I have an undergraduate surgical firm (3rd year) and run Speciality Study Modules (SSM) for final year students and have been involved in teaching undergraduates and postgraduates since 1980.
I taught anatomy in Newcastle to medical, dental and physiotherapy students and in all the academic centres in which I have worked I have been involved in bedside and formal teaching of medical students.
I undertake regular ward and outpatient clinic teaching and act as an internal examiner for the University of Manchester. I am a Lecturer on the third year medical students Basic Integrated Science Course for Breast Disease and I also lecture on the introductory course teaching medical students Basic Clinical Skills.
I am a Professor of Surgical Oncology and Consultant Surgeon based at the University Hospital of South Manchester NHS Foundation Trust and the Christie Hospital in Manchester where I have a large clinical commitment to the Manchester Breast Service, which is the largest in the country. I graduated from Newcastle University in 1980 and was awarded my medical degree in 1990. After completing my training in Edinburgh, Leicester, Cardiff and Birmingham I joined the University of Manchester as a Senior Lecturer in Surgical Oncology in 1991, and was appointed as Professor of Surgical Oncology in 1999.
I have research interests in preinvasive cancer (ductal carcinoma in situ), breast cancer chemoprevention, endocrine therapy and bone metastases and I have developed xenograft models of human DCIS, primary culture and stem cell cultures of human DCIS. My research in Manchester was recognised by the Royal College of Surgeons of England when I was appointed a Hunterian Professorship in 1995 for my work on parathyroid hormone related peptide and its role in bone metastases. I am a member of numerous medical societies and have been the recipient of numerous honours and awards, including the Patey Prize from the Society of Academic & Research Surgery (SARS) and the Ronald Raven Prize from the British Association of Surgical Oncology (BASO).
I have authored or co-authored more than 160 peer-reviewed articles and my work has appeared in many journals, including the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, The Lancet, Cancer Research and Cancer. I am also the chief investigator on several preoperative DCIS trials and an international trial (DCIS II) funded by Cancer UK.
|1990||MD Thesis, Newcastle University Medical School|
|1986||FRCS (England), Royal College of Surgeons|
|1985||FRCS (Edinburgh and Glasgow), Royal College of Surgeons|
|1975-1980||MB BS, Newcastle University Medical School|
- Bundred, N. J., Stockton, C., Keeley, V., Riches, K., Ashcroft, L., Evans, A., ... Studies, P. L. A. C. E. (2015). Comparison of multi-frequency bioimpedance with perometry for the early detection and intervention of lymphoedema after axillary node clearance for breast cancer.Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 151(1), 121-129. DOI:10.1007/s10549-015-3357-8.. Publication link: 89a2f8c6-39d8-4121-89fb-04d15d462e92
- Bundred, N. J., Williams, K. E., Barnes, N. L., Cramer, A., Johnson, R., Cheema, K., ... Howe, M. (2015). Molecular phenotypes of DCIS predict overall and invasive recurrence.Annals of Oncology, 26(5), 1019-1025. DOI:10.1093/annonc/mdv062. Publication link: 318cf5d3-c512-4296-a83d-8b85b4f6ec4d
- Bundred, N., Forbes, J. F., MD, . U., Sestak, I., PhD, . U., Howell, A., ... Investigators†, P. O. B. O. T. I. B. I. S-I. I. (2015). Anastrozole versus tamoxifen for the prevention of locoregional and contralateral breast cancer in postmenopausal women with locally excised ductal carcinoma in situ (IBIS-II DCIS): a double-blind, randomised controlled trial. The Lancet. DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(15)01129-0. Publication link: da63b9aa-5266-4aeb-ac36-67fc3ac694f5
- Bundred, N., Group, E. B. C. T. C., Coleman, R., Powles, T., Paterson, A., Gnant, M., ... Gray, R. (2015). Adjuvant bisphosphonate treatment in early breast cancer: meta-analyses of individual patient data from randomised trials.The Lancet, 386(10001), 1353-1361. . DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(15)60908-4.. Publication link: ee6f6451-a034-4cb4-aab5-34620a0e8104
- Bundred, N., Group, E. B. C. T. C., Dowsett, M., Forbes, J. F., Bradley, R., Ingle, J., ... Gray, R. (2015). Aromatase inhibitors versus tamoxifen in early breast cancer: patient-level meta-analysis of the randomised trials.The Lancet, 1341-1352. . DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(15)61074-1. Publication link: 523bd7ec-6343-4787-a15f-4b23f3447c3d
- Bundred, N., Lavelle, K., Sowerbutts, A. M., Pilling, M., & Todd, C. (2015). Pretreatment health measures and complications after surgical management of elderly women with breast cancer.British Journal of Surgery, 102(6), 653-657. DOI:10.1002/bjs.9796.. Publication link: 33265a9b-7ad5-4b50-8c19-21aaa5832f99
- Bundred, N., Leary, A., Evans, A., Johnston, S. R., A'Hern, R., Bliss, J. M., ... Dowsett, M. (2015). Antiproliferative Effect of Lapatinib in HER2-Positive and HER2-Negative/HER3-High Breast Cancer: Results of the Presurgical Randomized MAPLE Trial (CRUK E/06/039).Clinical Cancer Research, 21(13), 2932-2940. DOI:10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-14-1428.. Publication link: 31ba881a-94e5-4ed5-bf56-27a81e37d4fb
- Bundred, N., Schmid, P., Pinder, S. E., Wheatley, D., Macaskill, J., Zammit, C., ... Thompson, A. (2015). Phase II randomized preoperative window of opportunity study of the PI3K inhibitor Pictilisib plus Anastrozole compared with Anastrozole alone in patients with oestrogen receptor-positive breast cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology.. Publication link: 128a3aa9-32f8-4b35-bb6d-2f2395b7b926
- Bundred, S. M. (2015). Randomised controlled trial of stereotactic 11g vacuum assisted core biopsy for the diagnosis and management of mammographic microcalcification. British Journal of Radiology.. Publication link: 54af5110-00b8-4959-8dc0-2b654b76e0e6
- Williams, K. E., Bundred, N. J., Landberg, G., Clarke, R., & Farnie, G. (2015). Focal Adhesion Kinase and Wnt Signaling Regulate human ductal carcinoma in situ stem cell activity and response to radiotherapy. Stem Cells (Durham), 33(2), 327-341. DOI:10.1002/stem.1843.. Publication link: d6abc945-9da3-4e79-994e-1e50c8d59ffd
- Bundred, N. J., Barnes, N. L., Dimopoulos, N., Williams, K. E., & Howe, M. (2014). The frequency of presentation and clinico-pathological characteristics of symptomatic versus screen detected ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast.European Journal of Surgical Oncology, 40(3), 249-254. DOI:10.1016/j.ejso.2013.12.013. Publication link: c1b93edc-6741-4403-9f3f-7ad40bd77511
- Bundred, N. J., Barnes, N. L., Rutgers, E., & Donker, M. (2014). Is axillary lymph node clearance required in node-positive breast cancer?. Nature Reviews. Clinical Oncology, 12(1), 55-61. DOI:10.1038/nrclinonc.2014.188.. Publication link: f0bea96b-7485-471b-96e2-99a9e291288d
- Bundred, N. J., Donker, M., van, T. G., Straver, M. E., Meijnen, P., van, D. V. C. J., ... Rutgers, E. J. (2014). Radiotherapy or surgery of the axilla after a positive sentinel node in breast cancer (EORTC 10981-22023 AMAROS): a randomised, multicentre, open-label, phase 3 non-inferiority trial.Unknown Journal, 15(12), 1303-1310. DOI:10.1016/S1470-2045(14)70460-7. Publication link: 2eb394e3-ce70-41da-b4c8-514a5a0d16f4
- Bundred, N. J., Farnie, G., Johnson, R. L., Williams, K. E., Clarke, R. B., Johnson, R. L., ... Clarke, R. B. (2014). Lapatinib inhibits stem/progenitor proliferation in preclinical in vitro models of ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS).Cell Cycle, 13(3), 418-425. DOI:10.4161/cc.27201. Publication link: 3c8af09d-4164-422c-9230-be08e085c931
- Bundred, N., Bundred, S. M., Zhou, J., Whiteside, S., Morris, J., Wilson, M., & Hurley, E. (2014). Impact of full-field digital mammography on pre-operative diagnosis and surgical treatment of mammographic microcalcification.Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 143(2), 359-366. DOI:10.1007/s10549-013-2803-8. Publication link: 2b0a5e83-43ec-41cb-aa9b-9bdda1a60b62
- Bundred, N., EBCTCG, . U., McGale, P., Taylor, C., Correa, C., Cutter, D., ... Darby, S. (2014). Effect of radiotherapy after mastectomy and axillary surgery on 10-year recurrence and 20-year breast cancer mortality: meta-analysis of individual patient data for 8135 women in 22 randomised trials.The Lancet, 383(9935), 2127-2135. DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(14)60488-8. Publication link: 12ed6f94-3bc0-4bf2-8d5d-da587eadd9f5
- Bundred, N., Pieri, A., & Harvey, J. (2014). Pleomorphic lobular carcinoma in situ of the breast: Can the evidence guide practice?. World Journal of Clinical Oncology, 5(3), 546-553. DOI:10.5306/wjco.v5.i3.546. Publication link: 8822578f-c1e0-4030-9144-7e4144ec8d2c
- Bundred, N., Topps, A., Clay, V., Absar, M., Howe, M., Lim, Y., & Johnson, R. (2014). The sensitivity of pre-operative axillary staging in breast cancer: comparison of invasive lobular and ductal carcinoma.European Journal of Surgical Oncology, 40(7), 813-817. DOI:10.1016/j.ejso.2014.03.026.. Publication link: b40fee31-b86b-4238-b77b-042205032e7a
- Lavelle, K., Sowerbutts, A. M., Bundred, N., Pilling, M., Degner, L., Stockton, C., & Todd, C. (2014). Is lack of surgery for older breast cancer patients in the UK explained by patient choice or poor health A prospective cohort study. British Journal of Cancer, 110(3), 573-583. DOI:10.1038/bjc.2013.734. Publication link: eecc874b-e337-4a15-97c6-445b9f3506f2 | PubMed:24292450
- Lavelle, K., Sowerbutts, A. M., Bundred, N., Pilling, M., Degner, L., Stockton, C., & Todd, C. (2014). Is lack of surgery for older breast cancer patients in the UK explained by patient choice or poor health A prospective cohort study. 573-583. Poster session presented at European Breast Cancer Conference, Glasgow, .10.1038/bjc.2013.734. Publication link: e0ab537f-a3ac-41ba-ad5e-15116a0d4a5a
- Eccles, S. A., Aboagye, E. O., Ali, S., Anderson, A. S., Armes, J., Berditchevski, F., ... Clarke, R. B. (2013). Critical research gaps and translational prioritiesfor the successful prevention and treatment of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research, 15(5), R92. DOI:10.1186/bcr3493. Publication link: 6a87ba8c-e8ba-4dd7-936a-f165d8ec65dc
- Eccles, S. A., Aboagye, E. O., Ali, S., Anderson, A. S., Armes, J., Berditchevski, F., ... Thompson, A. M. (2013). Critical research gaps and translational priorities for the successful prevention and treatment of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research, 15(5), [R92]. DOI:10.1186/bcr3493. Publication link: 73696075-0c5f-47ea-8b4c-76294cf57f07 | PubMed:24286369
- Farnie, G., Willan, P. M., Clarke, R. B., & Bundred, N. J. (2013). Combined Inhibition of ErbB1/2 and Notch Receptors Effectively Targets Breast Ductal Carcinoma In Situ (DCIS) Stem/Progenitor Cell Activity Regardless of ErbB2 Status. PLoS ONE, 8(2), [e56840]. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0056840. Publication link: 891b726c-dffb-4304-8633-d088b745b89a
- Singh, J. K., Farnie, G., Bundred, N. J., Simões, B. M., Shergill, A., Landberg, G., ... Clarke, R. B. (2013). Targeting CXCR1/2 significantly reduces breast cancer stem cell activity and increases the efficacy of inhibiting HER2 via HER2-dependent and -independent mechanisms.Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research, 19(3), 643-656. DOI:10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-12-1063. Publication link: ef655c4f-25fa-40eb-84d2-2c2755c681c9 | PubMed:23149820
- Singh, J. K., Simões, B. M., Clarke, R. B., & Bundred, N. J. (2013). Targeting IL-8 signalling to inhibit breast cancer stem cell activity. Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Targets, 17(11), 1235-1241. DOI:10.1517/14728222.2013.835398. Publication link: 9dcf4e58-929b-49a0-b5f6-7000f757e1ae
- Bundred, N. (2012). Antiresorptive therapies in oncology and their effects on cancer progression. Cancer Treatment Reviews, 38(6), 776-786. DOI:10.1016/j.ctrv.2012.02.002. Publication link: bc1ba585-6b1d-4405-9db6-79b631175f54
- Bundred, N. J., Barnes, N. L. P., Ooi, J. L., & Yarnold, J. R. (2012). Ductal Carcinoma in Situ (DCIS) of the breast. British Medical Journal.. Publication link: 12ac4b69-0cdb-4572-b0ee-a788e39476f9
- Bundred, N. J., Kenemans, P., Yip, C. H., Beckmann, M. W., Foidart, J. M., Sismondi, P., ... Kubista, E. (2012). Tibolone increases bone mineral density but also relapse in breast cancer survivors: LIBERATE trial bone substudy. Breast Cancer Research, 14(1), [R13]. DOI:10.1186/bcr3097. Publication link: 9960bac7-8af1-4e67-8d18-b86eb9c07052
- Bundred, N. J., Kenemans, P., Yip, C. H., Beckmann, M. W., Foidart, J. M., Sismondi, P., ... Kubista, E. (2012). Tibolone increases bone mineral density but also relapse in breast cancer survivors: LIBERATE Trial Bone Sub-study. Breast Cancer Research. DOI:10.1186/bcr3097. Publication link: b6d36399-fd6e-45f2-ab97-9be6b179764e
- Bundred, N., Coleman, R., de, B. R., Eidtmann, H., Llombart, A., Davidson, N., ... Modi, A. (2012). Zoledronic acid (zoledronate) for postmenopausal women with early breast cancer receiving adjuvant letrozole (ZO-FAST study): final 60-month results.Ann Oncol... Publication link: c1edeea3-3506-43c8-9e02-0491a5f7073c
- Hadji, P., Gnant, M., Body, J. J., Bundred, N. J., Brufsky, A., Coleman, R. E., ... Aapro, M. S. (2012). Cancer treatment-induced bone loss in premenopausal women: A need for therapeutic intervention?. Cancer Treatment Reviews, 38(6), 798-806. DOI:10.1016/j.ctrv.2012.02.008. Publication link: 5f730cc7-bb42-42cc-a0c8-7cf1c055cc1f
- Bundred, N. (2011). Relevance of breast cancer hormone receptors and other factors to the efficacy of adjuvant tamoxifen: Patient-level meta-analysis of randomised trials. The Lancet, 378(9793), 771-784.. Publication link: e3ca1ccc-26b5-488f-8208-26e6d74d3553
- Bundred, N. J., Prasad, R., Morris, J., Knox, W. F., Byrne, G., Cheung, S., ... Lawrence, G. (2011). Are symptomatic guidelines for chemotherapy appropriate to ER-positive screen-detected breast cancer (SDBC)?. Breast Cancer Res Treat.. Publication link: 7eaeb5b8-af7a-44cf-b6f4-a14a3bed9cff
- Bundred, N., Albain, K., Anderson, S., Arriagada, R., Barlow, W., Bergh, J., ... Wood, W. (2011). Effect of radiotherapy after breast-conserving surgery on 10-year recurrence and 15-year breast cancer death: Meta-analysis of individual patient data for 10 801 women in 17 randomised trials. The Lancet, 378(9804), 1707-1716. DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(11)61629-2. Publication link: 671905c9-e770-4339-8c92-63fc01b51738
- Bundred, N., Coleman, R. E., Marshall, H., Cameron, D., Dodwell, D., Burkinshaw, R., ... Bell, R. (2011). Breast-cancer adjuvant therapy with zoledronic acid. New England Journal of Medicine, 365(15), 1396-1405. DOI:10.1056/NEJMoa1105195. Publication link: 1e9ec520-a79d-4da9-90da-532eebe0fb00
- Cuzick, J., Sestak, I., Pinder, S. E., Ellis, I. O., Forsyth, S., Bundred, N. J., ... George, W. D. (2011). Effect of tamoxifen and radiotherapy in women with locally excised ductal carcinoma in situ: Long-term results from the UK/ANZ DCIS trial. Lancet Oncology, 12(1), 21-29. DOI:10.1016/S1470-2045(10)70266-7. Publication link: e90e04b0-87ba-4bd5-87d3-f85f7332d0c2
- Hadji, P., Aapro, M. S., Body, J. J., Bundred, N. J., Brufsky, A., Coleman, R. E., ... Lipton, A. (2011). Management of aromatase inhibitor-associated bone loss in postmenopausal women with breast cancer: Practical guidance for prevention and treatment. Annals of Oncology, 22(12), 2546-2555. [mdr017]. DOI:10.1093/annonc/mdr017. Publication link: e77cf24a-7587-4fa8-b051-eba2253bb295
- Bundred, N. J., Cramer, A., Morris, J., Renshaw, L., Cheung, K. L., Flint, P., ... Dixon, J. M. (2010). Cyclooxygenase-2 inhibition does not improve the reduction in ductal carcinoma in situ proliferation with aromatase inhibitor therapy: Results of the ERISAC randomized placebo-controlled trial. Clinical Cancer Research, 16(5), 1605-1612. DOI:10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-09-1623. Publication link: 0fd53127-fbf6-42f6-915d-6d1833e47272 | PubMed:20179229
- Bundred, N., Correa, C., McGale, P., Taylor, C., Wang, Y., Clarke, M., ... Darby, S. (2010). Overview of the randomized trials of radiotherapy in ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast. Journal of the National Cancer Institute - Monographs, (41), 162-177. DOI:10.1093/jncimonographs/lgq039. Publication link: e0dda2e8-0540-4223-83d5-5b4f6315a1ff
- Evans, D. G., Harvie, M., Bundred, N., & Howell, A. (2010). Uptake of breast cancer prevention and screening trials. Journal of Medical Genetics, 47(12), 853-855. DOI:10.1136/jmg.2010.082768. Publication link: c44b058d-ef7e-4927-b3f4-40d2f83ecfdd | PubMed:20972247
- Harrison, H., Farnie, G., Howell, S. J., Rock, R. E., Stylianou, S., Brennan, K. R., ... Clarke, R. B. (2010). Regulation of breast cancer stem cell activity by signaling through the Notch4 receptor. Cancer Research, 70(2), 709-718. DOI:10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-09-1681. Publication link: f40c35c7-fd19-49d0-866d-a60927566d8a | PubMed:20068161
- Bundred, N. (2009). Surgical guidelines for the management of breast cancer. European Journal of Surgical Oncology, 35(1), 1-22.. Publication link: 473d2b43-e45b-44c8-a555-da8e3c0babb0
- Bundred, N. J. (2009). Aromatase inhibitors and bone health. Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology, 21(1), 60-67. DOI:10.1097/GCO.0b013e32831da80e. Publication link: fb86d7ca-0149-4e77-978c-7994eb854035
- Foster, F. M., Owens, T. W., Tanianis-Hughes, J., Clarke, R. B., Brennan, K., Bundred, N. J., & Streuli, C. H. (2009). Targeting inhibitor of apoptosis proteins in combination with ErbB antagonists in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research, 11(3), [R41]. DOI:10.1186/bcr2328. Publication link: 8bc02389-49d9-410a-bc2e-0d53e37f5120 | PubMed:19563669
- Kenemans, P., Bundred, N. J., Foidart, J. M., Kubista, E., von Schoultz, B., Sismondi, P., ... Beckmann, M. W. (2009). Safety and efficacy of tibolone in breast-cancer patients with vasomotor symptoms: a double-blind, randomised, non-inferiority trial. Lancet Oncology, 10(2), 135-146. DOI:10.1016/S1470-2045(08)70341-3. Publication link: b0348118-895a-422a-9a18-0ea5e8217bb2
- Brufsky, A., Bundred, N., Coleman, R., Lambert-Falls, R., Mena, R., Hadji, P., ... Perez, E. A. (2008). Integrated analysis of zoledronic acid for prevention of aromatase inhibitor-associated bone loss in postmenopausal women with early breast cancer receiving adjuvant letrozole. Oncologist, 13(5), 503-514. DOI:10.1634/theoncologist.2007-0206. Publication link: 07e8ac58-42ee-4c11-9b71-c07554d56b26
- Bundred, N. J., Campbell, I. D., Davidson, N., DeBoer, R. H., Eidtmann, H., Monnier, A., ... Coleman, R. E. (2008). Effective inhibition of aromatase inhibitor-associated bone loss by zoledronic acid in postmenopausal women with early breast cancer receiving adjuvant letrozole: ZO-FAST study results. Cancer, 112(5), 1001-1010. DOI:10.1002/cncr.23259. Publication link: 8577e6c6-b8c3-44ba-b728-c58aeb9a48c3
- Byrne, G. J., Hayden, K. E., McDowell, G., Lang, H., Kirwan, C. C., Tetlow, L., ... Bundred, N. J. (2007). Angiogenic characteristics of circulating and tumoural thrombospondin-1 in breast cancer. International Journal of Oncology, 31(5), 1127-1132.. Publication link: b735c8a8-82c2-4e10-a2fe-32260c9b6266
- Byrne, G. J., McDowell, G., Agarawal, R., Sinha, G., Kumar, S., & Bundred, N. J. (2007). Serum vascular endothelial growth factor in breast cancer. Anticancer Research, 27(5 B), 3481-3487.. Publication link: 17708ac3-c87e-4293-8264-898e02550714
- Farnie, G., Clarke, R. B., Spence, K., Pinnock, N., Brennan, K., Anderson, N. G., & Bundred, N. J. (2007). Novel cell culture technique for primary ductal carcinoma in situ: Role of notch and epidermal growth Factor Receptor Signaling Pathways. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 99(8), 616-627. DOI:10.1093/jnci/djk133. Publication link: 1b1f960e-416b-4062-9ace-0abd24fba57d | PubMed:17440163
- Lavelle, K., Todd, C., Moran, A., Howell, A., Bundred, N., & Campbell, M. (2007). Non-standard management of breast cancer increases with age in the UK: A population based cohort of women ≥65 years. British Journal of Cancer, 96(8), 1197-1203. DOI:10.1038/sj.bjc.6603709. Publication link: 4156adb4-9b96-4525-bf0e-5ecd284ccf79 | PubMed:17387342
- Patiar, S., Kirwan, C. C., McDowell, G., Bundred, N. J., McCollum, C. N., & Byrne, G. J. (2007). Prevention of venous thromboembolism in surgical patients with breast cancer. British Journal of Surgery, 94(4), 412-420. DOI:10.1002/bjs.5782. Publication link: b918f918-5cf7-4829-9448-b269320321e5
- Al-Khaffaf, B. H., Shanks, J. H., & Bundred, N. (2006). Erythema nodosum - An extramammary manifestation of granulomatous mastitis. Breast Journal, 12(6), 569-570. DOI:10.1111/j.1524-4741.2006.00348.x. Publication link: 89d050bf-a86b-412d-a50e-bb66165f9147
- Barnes, N., Haywood, P., Flint, P., Knox, W. F., & Bundred, N. J. (2006). Survivin expression in in situ and invasive breast cancer relates to COX-2 expression and DCIS recurrence. British Journal of Cancer, 94(2), 253-258. DOI:10.1038/sj.bjc.6602932. Publication link: f8678306-a4f1-4d03-8820-8698a4ffa4b3
- Bundred, N. (2006). The evolving role of exemestane in the management of breast cancer. British Journal of Hospital Medicine, 67(8), 427-430.. Publication link: f372fe25-42d8-4023-be33-f8c5ae70f465
- Bundred, N. J. (2006). Letrozole: A well-tolerated and effective treatment for breast cancer. Women's Health, 2(5), 673-685. DOI:10.2217/17455057.2.5.673. Publication link: 3fd034c5-c6e2-49d6-a7f4-0edea8de59a0
- Dixon, J. M., & Bundred, N. (2006). Aromatase inhibitors for early breast cancer therapy: A choice of effective treatment strategies. European Journal of Surgical Oncology, 32(2), 123-125. DOI:10.1016/j.ejso.2005.09.015. Publication link: e6589fba-970c-44f9-ade0-33b3e6c5148a
- Kirwan, C., Kirwan, C. C., McCollum, C. N., Bundred, N. J., & Byrne, G. J. (2006). Current UK practice of thromboprophylaxis for breast surgery. British Journal of Surgery, 93(10), 1224-1225. DOI:10.1002/bjs.5495. Publication link: 8bc7221a-0b29-4a01-9225-4a20358ee3fe
- Mansel, R. E., Fallowfield, L., Kissin, M., Goyal, A., Newcombe, R. G., Dixon, J. M., ... Ell, P. J. (2006). Randomized multicenter trial of sentinel node biopsy versus standard axillary treatment in operable breast cancer: The ALMANAC trial. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 98(9), 599-609. DOI:10.1093/jnci/djj158. Publication link: 134e5653-029f-4285-9c00-819ab47ba058
- Wärnberg, F., White, D., Anderson, E., Knox, F., Morris, J., Clarke, R. B., & Bundred, N. (2006). Effect of a farnesyl transferase inhibitor (R115777) on ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast in a human xenograft model and on breast and ovarian cancer cell growth in vitro and in vivo.Breast Cancer Res., 8(2). DOI:10.1186/bcr1395. Publication link: ee20341d-6e28-4297-a001-b7fb80299fa2
- Wilson, G. R., Cramer, A., Welman, A., Knox, F., Swindell, R., Kawakatsu, H., ... Bundred, N. J. (2006). Activated c-SRC in ductal carcinoma in situ correlates with high tumour grade, high proliferation and HER2 positivity. British Journal of Cancer, 95(10), 1410-1414. DOI:10.1038/sj.bjc.6603444. Publication link: 3debb5a6-02bb-4733-8fb7-26647047519d
- Barnes, N. L. P., Khavari, S., Boland, G. P., Cramer, A., Knox, W. F., & Bundred, N. J. (2005). Absence of HER4 expression predicts recurrence of ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast. Clinical Cancer Research, 11(6), 2163-2168. DOI:10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-04-1633. Publication link: d67c72f8-c8c3-48d9-ae25-63d8a06df208
- Bundred, N. (2005). Breast pain.Clin Evid., (14), 2190-2199.. Publication link: 3099f379-2424-4ca9-86bd-63695ecdbcda
- Bundred, N. (2005). Preclinical and clinical experience with fulvestrant (Faslodex) in postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive advanced breast cancer. Cancer Investigation, 23(2), 173-181. DOI:10.1081/CNV-200050480. Publication link: 87bc9907-8566-4a4c-be98-3a666bb784b2
- Bundred, N. J., & Barnes, N. L. P. (2005). Potential use of COX-2-aromatase inhibitor combinations in breast cancer. British Journal of Cancer, 93(1), S10-S15. DOI:10.1038/sj.bjc.6602690. Publication link: 3d6e6de2-df24-48ce-aaa1-bd3b95b9d14d
- Kroiss, R., Fentiman, I. S., Helmond, F. A., Rymer, J., Foidart, J. M., Bundred, N., ... Kubista, E. (2005). The effect of tibolone in postmenopausal women receiving tamoxifen after surgery for breast cancer: A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 112(2), 228-233. DOI:10.1111/j.1471-0528.2004.00309.x. Publication link: 2902e5a0-c0a1-4f96-84e1-7c52f4df6a99
- McDowell, G., Temple, I., Li, C., Kirwan, C. C., Bundred, N. J., McCollum, C. N., ... Byrne, G. J. (2005). Alteration in platelet function in patients with early breast cancer. Anticancer Research, 25(6 B), 3963-3966.. Publication link: 0a7a986e-9602-48f0-9c7f-909e24548304
- Boland, G. P., Butt, I. S., Prasad, R., Knox, W. F., & Bundred, N. J. (2004). COX-2 expression is associated with an aggressive phenotype in ductal carcinoma in situ. British Journal of Cancer, 90(2), 423-429. DOI:10.1038/sj.bjc.6601534. Publication link: 1621d2f1-b89e-4a49-a008-aabaf806da35
- Bundred, N. J. (2004). Breast cancer and HRT use. Maturitas, 49(1), -S4. DOI:10.1016/j.maturitas.2004.06.010. Publication link: acf81785-e1f1-41a1-9da7-a50627ef110a
- Boland, G. P., Chan, K. C., Knox, W. F., Roberts, S. A., & Bundred, N. J. (2003). Value of the Van Nuys Prognostic Index in prediction of recurrence of ductal carcinoma in situ after breast-conserving surgery. British Journal of Surgery, 90(4), 426-432. DOI:10.1002/bjs.4051. Publication link: b9ca6c28-66af-416a-b7f2-0d6f81a5d5be
- Bundred, N. J., & Morris, J. (2003). Breast cancer and hormone-replacement therapy: the Million Women Study.Lancet, 362( 9392).. Publication link: 85e0d57a-92d9-495c-a9d0-7327be6ed4fb
- Hoey, R. P., Sanderson, C., Iddon, J., Brady, G., Bundred, N. J., & Anderson, N. G. (2003). The parathyroid hormone-related protein receptor is expressed in breast cancer bone metastases and promotes autocrine proliferation in breast carcinoma cells. British Journal of Cancer, 88(4), 567-573. DOI:10.1038/sj.bjc.6600757. Publication link: 8578d032-921f-4e83-ab67-866b949e1920
- Prasad, R., Boland, G. P., Cramer, A., Anderson, E., Knox, W. F., & Bundred, N. J. (2003). Short-Term Biologic Response to Withdrawal of Hormone Replacement Therapy in Patients with Invasive Breast Carcinoma. Cancer, 98(12), 2539-2546. DOI:10.1002/cncr.11836. Publication link: f12b81b3-f292-4163-92aa-f8dfc60f92e8
- Bundred, N. J., Hoey, R. N. T. D. S. B. G. A. L., Linforth, R., & Anderson, N. G. (2002). Co-expression of parathyroid hormone related protein and its receptor in early breast cancer predicts poor patient survival.Clin. Cancer Res.. Publication link: 435f2379-f9a2-4a82-8dfd-d5992ad6ce53
- Chan, K. C., Knox, W. F., Gee, J. M., Morris, J., Nicholson, R. I., Potten, C. S., & Bundred, N. J. (2002). Effect of epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibition on epithelial proliferation in normal and premalignant breast. Cancer Research, 62(1), 122-128.. Publication link: 8ec14fe9-7764-4374-9607-abd89c0a33bb
- Gilmore, A. P., Valentijn, A. J., Wang, P., Ranger, A. M., Bundred, N., O'Hare, M. J., ... Streuli, C. H. (2002). Activation of BAD by therapeutic inhibition of epidermal growth factor receptor and transactivation by insulin-like growth factor receptor. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 277(31), 27643-27650. DOI:10.1074/jbc.M108863200. Publication link: a6434c51-7ffd-4e86-9dc7-92c63b1341ca | PubMed:12011069
- Anderson, N. G., Ahmad, T., Chan, K., Dobson, R., & Bundred, N. J. (2001). ZD1839 (Iressa), a novel epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) tyrosine kinase inhibitor, potently inhibits the growth of EGFR-positive cancer cell lines with or without erbB2 overexpression. International Journal of Cancer, 94(6), 774-782. DOI:10.1002/ijc.1557. Publication link: 2d2587f7-5481-4f51-8068-a30afb8d8461
- Chan, K. C., Fiona Knox, W., Sinha, G., Gandhi, A., Barr, L., Baildam, A. D., & Bundred, N. J. (2001). Extent of excision margin width required in breast conserving surgery for ductal carcinoma in situ. Cancer, 91(1), 9-16. DOI:10.1002/1097-0142(20010101)91:1<9::AID-CNCR2>3.0.CO;2-E. Publication link: b562d41b-948b-4195-afd7-972f636dd1bd
- Bundred, N. J., Gandhi, A., Holland, P., Knox, W. F., & Potten, C. S. (2000). Effects of pure antioestrogen on apoptosis and proliferation within human breast ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS). Cancer Res.. Publication link: e4d8f173-79eb-40b3-992d-2d4556b16e4b
- Bundred, N. J., Kumar, S., Byrne, G. J., Ghellal, A., Li, C., & Hayes, M. (2000). Prognostic significance of TGF beta 1 and TGF beta 3 in human breast carcinoma.Anticancer Res, 20.. Publication link: b63629b9-910a-4669-965b-eda6e434a3fb
- Byrne, G. J., & Bundred, N. J. (2000). Surrogate markers of tumoral angiogenesis. International Journal of Biological Markers, 15(4), 334-339.. Publication link: 9148c7c7-783c-4446-b76d-55701d9a8f8e
- Byrne, G. J., Ghellal, A., Iddon, J., Blann, A. D., Venizelos, V., Kumar, S., ... Bundred, N. J. (2000). Serum soluble vascular cell adhesion molecule-1: Role as a surrogate marker of angiogenesis. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 92(16), 1329-1336.. Publication link: bae2e783-adfb-4e54-8378-e77911603d43
- Hayden, K., Tetlow, L., Byrne, G., & Bundred, N. (2000). Radioimmunoassay for the measurement of thrombospondin in plasma and breast cyst fluid: Validation and clinical application. Annals of Clinical Biochemistry, 37(3), 319-325.. Publication link: 3a19d43c-6709-4ab9-b6e9-f9f6f0964be5
- Hoyland, J. A., Bundred, N. J., Iddon, J., Downey, S. E., McMahon, R., Baird, P., & Salter, D. (2000). Expression of parathyroid hormone-related protein and its receptor in bones metastases from prostrate cancer.J Pathol, 191.. Publication link: 576901bf-062e-49de-9288-bffc41568a5a
- Li, C., Guo, B., Wilson, P. B., Stewart, A., Byrne, G., Bundred, N., & Kumar, S. (2000). Plasma levels of soluble CD105 correlate with metastasis in patients with breast cancer. International Journal of Cancer, 86(3), 122-126.. Publication link: 35bb96d2-d3a8-4dfb-8cb2-57563802369c
- Mcmahon, R., Iddon, J., Bundred, N. J., Hoyland, J., Downey, S. E., Baird, P., ... Freemont, A. J. (2000). Expression of parathyroid hormone-related protein and its receptor in bone metastases from prostate cancer. Journal of Pathology, 191(2), 170-174. DOI:10.1002/(SICI)1096-9896(200006)191:2<170::AID-PATH620>3.0.CO;2-H. Publication link: c61a756b-f6b5-4dfc-b94b-d1c3e9580365 | PubMed:10861577
- Hargreaves, D. F., Potten, C. S., Harding, C., Shaw, L. E., Morton, M. S., Roberts, S. A., ... Bundred, N. J. (1999). Two-week dietary soy supplementation has an estrogenic effect on normal premenopausal breast. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 84(11), 4017-4024.. Publication link: 3facf4ae-b831-4b9f-823c-09b5727ea9b2
- Iddon, J., Byrne, G., & Bundred, N. J. (1999). Bone metastasis in breast cancer: The role of parathyroid hormone related protein. Surgical Oncology, 8(1), 13-25. DOI:10.1016/S0960-7404(99)00011-0. Publication link: 6aa7bc91-76d3-41a8-9002-f9ee80e70cb8
- Kumar, S., Bundred, N. J., Byrne, G. J., Ghellal, A., Cheng, L., Haboubi, N., & Wang, J. (1999). Breast carcinoma: vascular density determined using CD105 antibody correlates with tumour prognosis.Cancer Research, 59.. Publication link: fed97dee-36f9-4399-8c25-45b62d460899
- Bramley, M., Byrne, G. J., & Bundred, N. J. (1998). Satisfaction with nurse specialists in breast care clinics. Nurses are not as effective as consultants.BMJ (Clinical research ed.), 317(7168), 1316-1317.. Publication link: dab3884a-f1d5-47d8-a9c1-78ad5691e4bd
- McMichael-Phillips, D. F., Harding, C., Morton, M., Roberts, S. A., Howell, A., Potten, C. S., & Bundred, N. J. (1998). Effects of soy-protein supplementation on epithelial proliferation in the histologically normal human breast. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 68(6).. Publication link: 4ce0927d-d785-4d44-bb7c-0445ad67d670
- Downey, S. E., Hoyland, J., Freemont, A. J., Knox, F., Walls, J., & Bundred, N. J. (1997). Expression of the receptor for parathyroid hormone-related protein in normal and malignant breast tissue. Journal of Pathology, 183(2), 212-217. DOI:10.1002/(SICI)1096-9896(199710)183:2<212::AID-PATH920>3.0.CO;2-O. Publication link: ec875bec-9cdc-460b-9b0e-5da39906177a